While troubleshooting a failed User Profile Synchronization Service, I needed to clear the config cache. The config cache is where config settings are stored locally on the Microsoft SharePoint server, so a SQL call isn’t required. Sometimes these files get corrupted, which happened to me while setting up the User Profile Synchronization Service.
To clear them:
- Login to SharePoint server
- Stop the OWSTIMER service
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config
- Check each directory within Config for a cache.ini file.
- The folder with the cache.ini file is the folder to work in
- Delete every file EXCEPT the cache.ini file
- Edit cache.ini and change the number to 1
- Start the OWSTIMER service
Here are several reference articles concerning setting up the User Profile Synchronization Service: